BOOK: "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Photobucket - Video and Image HostingMemoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden, was a seductive read. I honestly couldn't put it down (to use an over-used cliche). I loved the story and was constantly intrigued by the manipulations used by all the geisha to get what they wanted, especially the lead character's "older sister." I found the part about Japan during the war particularly interesting, since one of my fascinations is post-war Japan.

Now, for the controversy. As I was reading the book, I did a little research online and discovered that it's a "mockumentary," with a some basis in real life. Apparently, Golden didn't do such a hot job of painting the geisha in a way that was satisfactory to the geisha he was basing it on, a Mineka Iwasaki. She was supposed to remain anonymous, but he cited her in his bibliography. She went on to write her own book, called Geisha, A Life. That is, of course, now on my reading list. I suppose Golden took a writer's liberty with her story and gave a slightly skewed glimpse into the geisha world, but being a writer myself, I think I may have taken those liberties, as well. I certainly wouldn't base my knowledge of Japanese culture, or even the specific geisha culture, on this book alone. It simply told a story of some sort of love. I can't say that I think Sayuri (the lead character) loved the Chairman the way I love my boyfriend, but her obsession with him is something just about any girl could relate to.

But, regardless of the moral standing of the author, I found this to be a compelling read. My friend Kim saw that I was reading it and a little light went into her face. "Have you read it?" I asked. "Yes, one very magical summer." I don't know if it was the book or a boy who made the summer magical, but she remembered it with fondness. And that's how I feel about this book. I remember it fondly, like a confidante I can tell my deepest secrets to.

As far as geisha go, I think there's something valuable in the traditions and art they study. So many traditions are lost, and geisha have retained them. And there's something terribly interesting about the whole danna thing. The Japanese certainly do have a ritual and formal way of dealing with many things, including, somewhat, sex sales. It's interesting, to have a ceremony to bind a master to his mistress, because, at least, this displays that there is a connection between the two, unlike in America, where mistresses are hidden. I suppose if you're going to be sleeping with more than one woman, you should at least be open about it.

Anyway, I definitely recommend this book. Take it for what it is, that is, a story of a girl, not entirely historically accurate, but completely mesmerizing.


0 Responses to “BOOK: "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Starry Saltwater Rose
  • From New Haven, Connecticut, United States
  • My profile

Currently Listening To


Food and Liquor by Lupe Fiasco
Quality by Talib Kweli
Finding Forever by Common

Currently Reading


COMIC: Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore
COMIC: Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
BOOK: Pretties by Scott Westerfield
COMIC: Echo by Terry Moore
COMIC: Buffy Season 8 by Joss Whedon

To Read/Listen To/See


BOOK: Specials by Scott Westerfield
BOOK: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
BOOK: Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingslover
MOVIE: The Golden Compass
MOVIE: She Hate Me (Spike Lee)

Written Material Reactions


BOOK: Service Included by Phoebe Damrosch
BOOK: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
BOOK: The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
BOOK: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Music Reactions


ALBUM: Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park
SONG: Lips of an Angel by Hinder
SONG: Wind It Up by Gwen Stefani

Visual Media Reactions


VIDEO: Mana's Bendita Tu Luz
MOVIE: A Prairie Home Companion

Website Reactions

Links


ATOM 0.3