ALBUM: Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm going to take this album track by track, mostly because I've fallen in love with the entire thing, for different reasons.

1 - Wake: A great little intro that touches on musical themes of the album.

2 - Given Up: Given the slower and softer songs on this album, I'm glad that LP opened this album with a screamer. I appreciate both, but I've found myself deeply attracted to those songs that give my rage a safe place to live. And I'd love to hear this song live. [Video]

3 - Leave Out All the Rest: There's that great little effect at the beginning that gives an echo-y and ethereal quality to this song, which makes perfect sense, since lyrically it starts out with a dream.

4 - Bleed It Out: Although I liked the other singles released for this album, it was this track that made me download and burn it. Loud, angry and it seems to channel that bloodlust we feel sometimes. A perfect speeding on the highway song. [Video]

5 - Shadow of the Day: At first, I was lukewarm on this track, but then I just realized that I was tired of hearing it on the radio, but within the album, it fits right where it is. I actually like it and feel like I understand it better in context. [Video]

6 - What I've Done: I only recently watched Transformers and heard this song in the movie. Instant love. I love the sample (or drum) that sounds like a ticking clock, I love this song lyrically and delivery-wise. Around this time I started to notice a sense of religious undertones in the album, at least musically. [Video]

7 - Hands Held High: I shared this with a friend who writes his own beats and rhymes, knowing he would love it. He went sick when he heard it. There is definitely a sense of being in a church, somewhat, during this song, which is, of course, balanced by the rap pats. Politically, this song completely works for me.

8 - No More Sorrow: Another screamer, perfectly placed in the album order.

9 - Valentine's Day: This song hasn't completely grabbed me, but I like it well enough. Oddly, I listened to this album around V Day, so this one seemed almost commercially placed, although I'm sure it wasn't. Coincidences are weird.

10 - In Between: "My pride and my promise." This song peculiarly touches me. It reminds me of a man I've never met. This is when I think a long night with the songwriter would reveal something interesting.

11 - In Pieces: It was the guitar riff in the bridge that completely charmed me. It's a fantastic song, but that riff...ooohh. Seriously. I love how it builds. In fact, LP is really good at building up to some great music. But it's the riff first and lyrics later--that's how I was seduced.

12 - The Little Things Give You Away: Of all the songs, this one I feel the strangest about. Lyrically good, but politically--I'm mildly in disagreement. Probably my least favorite of the bunch, but I still really love the sound. Maybe I wish it was about something else. Yet I respect an artist's right to express an opinion, even if I don't wholly agree with it.

In my version of the album, I have a couple live tracks. I guess I got the Circuit City edition or something. Either way, they're good, but nothing spectacular. I'd prefer to see these guys live, although I imagine the little kids running around would annoy me. I would have loved to see LP when they were little-known and bratty suburban kids weren't allowed out at night.

Yeah, I like it. I only wish it was longer.


0 Responses to “ALBUM: Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Starry Saltwater Rose
  • From New Haven, Connecticut, United States
  • My profile

Currently Listening To


Food and Liquor by Lupe Fiasco
Quality by Talib Kweli
Finding Forever by Common

Currently Reading


COMIC: Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore
COMIC: Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
BOOK: Pretties by Scott Westerfield
COMIC: Echo by Terry Moore
COMIC: Buffy Season 8 by Joss Whedon

To Read/Listen To/See


BOOK: Specials by Scott Westerfield
BOOK: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
BOOK: Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingslover
MOVIE: The Golden Compass
MOVIE: She Hate Me (Spike Lee)

Written Material Reactions


BOOK: Service Included by Phoebe Damrosch
BOOK: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
BOOK: The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
BOOK: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Music Reactions


ALBUM: Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park
SONG: Lips of an Angel by Hinder
SONG: Wind It Up by Gwen Stefani

Visual Media Reactions


VIDEO: Mana's Bendita Tu Luz
MOVIE: A Prairie Home Companion

Website Reactions

Links


ATOM 0.3