SONG: "Wind It Up" by Gwen Stefani


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Photobucket - Video and Image HostingAny song that successfully samples from The Sound of Music soundtrack and includes yodeling, to boot, is good in my book. The fact that is was Gwen Stefani that did it, well, that just makes sense. It's such a great song. It pokes fun at hip-hop sampling while still pulling it off as a legitimate club song. I just heard the full version of this song off Napster, which is how I stay up to date on music. It blew me away, honestly. Yeah, I know, I should have heard it at the music awards she sang at (which I don't even know the name of, there being so many lately) or at least seen it on MTV, but I'm just not hooked into pop culture that way. I could totally see my mom getting into this song, too. In my family, we were huge The Sound of Music fans growing up and owned the soundtrack on vinyl. It just rocks. A thumbs up from me.

A note about this album: from my first initial listen on Napster, it works for me. I like her style and how she has moved away from her No Doubt sound in her solo efforts. I think that Fergie would do well to take a couple lessons from her, because although Fergie's done all right with The Dutchess, it definitely didn't grab me enough to actually listen to the whole album. I don't think anyone is quite like Gwen Stefani. You can't confuse her with the "other" blonde popstars, like Britney, Jessica and Christina (and their copycats). She has a fantastic style all her own and that sort of uniqueness and originality is missing (glaringly so) from pop music. Just because it's pop doesn't mean it can't be smart.


0 Responses to “SONG: "Wind It Up" by Gwen Stefani”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Starry Saltwater Rose
  • From New Haven, Connecticut, United States
  • My profile

Currently Listening To


Food and Liquor by Lupe Fiasco
Quality by Talib Kweli
Finding Forever by Common

Currently Reading


COMIC: Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore
COMIC: Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
BOOK: Pretties by Scott Westerfield
COMIC: Echo by Terry Moore
COMIC: Buffy Season 8 by Joss Whedon

To Read/Listen To/See


BOOK: Specials by Scott Westerfield
BOOK: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
BOOK: Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingslover
MOVIE: The Golden Compass
MOVIE: She Hate Me (Spike Lee)

Written Material Reactions


BOOK: Service Included by Phoebe Damrosch
BOOK: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
BOOK: The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
BOOK: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Music Reactions


ALBUM: Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park
SONG: Lips of an Angel by Hinder
SONG: Wind It Up by Gwen Stefani

Visual Media Reactions


VIDEO: Mana's Bendita Tu Luz
MOVIE: A Prairie Home Companion

Website Reactions

Links


ATOM 0.3