MOVIE: A Prairie Home Companion


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I have never done live radio, but I have done quite a bit of theater, in many different capacities, including directing, producing, writing, set design and creation, sound design and tech, light design and tech, advertising, even acting. There's magic in the theater, for me, because I love it so much. So when I watched A Prairie Home Companion, which is about the last night of a homegrown America live radio show, I found its rambling nature and scattered focus on details endearing, even nostalgic. Of course, the movie touches on nostalgia constantly, as we hear old-style radio commercials, where the DJ did the advertising, with support from his performers for a little extra punch, listen to old country tunes and feel, in general, several decades in the past. The present jolts us, courtesy of Lindsay Lohan's character, who embodies the angsty, suicide-obsessed, almost gothic attitude of youth today, and, of course, Tommy Lee Jones' Axeman, who is shutting down the whole shebang.

I enjoyed the movie immensely, although I realized that it didn't exactly have a plot. Then I realized that it's not supposed to, it's a Robert Altman mockumentary and the sheer joy of seeing a production at work was enough of a story for me. That whole last show of a season, or an era, or of a live radio broadcast, has such a bittersweetness in reality which is effectively echoed in the film. Especially for me, an artist barely working with a production, it made me ache to be a part of something more, and ache that it was ending for these people.

I know that this film touched something in me, but some might find it too unfocused and become frustrated for the lack of story.

My favorite moments are when Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly sing the dirty jokes song. Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin give pitch-perfect performances. I didn't even mind Lindsay Lohan so much, her not being staggeringly central. But the advertising bits were the best. Hands down.

I really liked this movie.


0 Responses to “MOVIE: A Prairie Home Companion”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Starry Saltwater Rose
  • From New Haven, Connecticut, United States
  • My profile

Currently Listening To


Food and Liquor by Lupe Fiasco
Quality by Talib Kweli
Finding Forever by Common

Currently Reading


COMIC: Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore
COMIC: Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
BOOK: Pretties by Scott Westerfield
COMIC: Echo by Terry Moore
COMIC: Buffy Season 8 by Joss Whedon

To Read/Listen To/See


BOOK: Specials by Scott Westerfield
BOOK: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
BOOK: Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingslover
MOVIE: The Golden Compass
MOVIE: She Hate Me (Spike Lee)

Written Material Reactions


BOOK: Service Included by Phoebe Damrosch
BOOK: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
BOOK: The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
BOOK: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Music Reactions


ALBUM: Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park
SONG: Lips of an Angel by Hinder
SONG: Wind It Up by Gwen Stefani

Visual Media Reactions


VIDEO: Mana's Bendita Tu Luz
MOVIE: A Prairie Home Companion

Website Reactions

Links


ATOM 0.3